10 May 2014

Coneflowers and Firewheel

The purple coneflowers, Echinacea purpurea, and firewheel, Gaillardia pulchella, are beginning to show their stuff. 

I've collected and spread seeds from the Echinacea all over the garden over the years, so it has become rather prolific. Purple coneflower is beautiful, relatively shade tolerant, and a great butterfly nectar plant.


Firewheel might be one of our most under-rated native spring bloomers. Everyone goes nuts for the bluebonnets, which I love too, but big fields of firewheel are pretty darn amazing.

5 comments:

TexasDeb said...

Your coneflowers are pretty amazing to my eyes. Mine are all just coming out from under pink evening primrose swaths so are still only rosettes. Seeing yours I'm determined to work them into larger areas and give them more territory of their own. I hadn't realized they'd do so well in part shade.

Ally said...

Coneflowers and prickly pear look great together!

Debra said...

I just love these combinations of colour and texture. Nicely done but I admit to some jealousy. I do not have enough sun anywhere to pull it off. I guess I will just have ot keep visiting your blog instead ;)

Unknown said...

And Echinacea is a valuable herb.

Unknown said...

And Echinacea is a valuable herb.